HAL/D-BUS - 1 more time

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 25 10:28:12 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 04/25/06 12:17 CST:

> FYI, I think how this is handled in KDE is mostly through a module
> called kded_mediamanager.  The source seems to use HAL as well as poll
> fstab.  All of this stuff is in kdebase/kioslave/media.  There's also
> a module called kded_medianotifier that seems to be the dialog you get
> as a user.  There's also a binary called kio_media_mounthelper.  I'm
> not sure how this fits into the equation.

Thanks again, Dan. I suppose what is going to have to happen is as
soon as LFS cuts the testing branch (we'll know we have settled on
toolchain and major package versions), I'll build a new system,
install the newest HAL/D-BUS stable packages and build a base KDE
system.

If automounting works, great, we can probably move to newer HAL/D-BUS
versions. If automounting doesn't work, but a simple program (IVman)
can make it work, then we can do that.

If KDE fails to build against the new D-BUS API, then we must stay
at the latest version compatible with KDE.

Does this sound like a plan?

--
Randy

12:24:01 up 31 days, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.23, 0.40