HAL/D-BUS - 1 more time

William Zhou armageddonmagic at 163.com
Tue Apr 25 08:23:12 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> William Zhou wrote these words on 04/25/06 09:47 CST:
>
>> By saying "they don't do much" I mean they don't auto mount and umount CDs
>> when I insert or ejecting them, they lack some useful parameters when generating
>> the fstab entries, and something else that I want it to do like playing
>> CDs :-).
>
> Well I'm not sure what all else you need in fstab that HAL can't do
> already (please provide an example), but everything else you mention
> isn't done by HAL, nor probably ever will. It is a common misconception
> that HAL does (or is supposed to do) these types of things.
>
> Everything you describe is to be done by userspace tools that rely
> on the information provided by HAL. HAL is not responsible for
> automounting stuff or automatically playing a CD (and by the way,
> you just don't have the right tools on your system if you cannot
> get the features you describe to work).

For the fstab entry parameter, here are some I used:
Generic: users,noauto

FAT32: dmask,fmask,gid,uid,utf8=xxx,iocharset,iocharset,codepage

USB Drive: sync or async

HAL can be used to do a lot of stuff, even automount. But It's better if
ivman is used
in this case.  I just list something I thought HAL would do but it
doesn't and then I found
ivman, it works great. I suggest we add Ivman to BLFS. see
http://ivman.sf.net .

William