HAL/D-BUS - 1 more time

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 25 07:57:06 PDT 2006

William Zhou wrote these words on 04/25/06 09:47 CST:

> By saying "they don't do much" I mean they don't auto mount and umount CDs
> when I insert or ejecting them, they lack some useful parameters when generating
> the fstab entries, and something else that I want it to do like playing
> CDs :-).

Well I'm not sure what all else you need in fstab that HAL can't do
already (please provide an example), but everything else you mention
isn't done by HAL, nor probably ever will. It is a common misconception
that HAL does (or is supposed to do) these types of things.

Everything you describe is to be done by userspace tools that rely
on the information provided by HAL. HAL is not responsible for
automounting stuff or automatically playing a CD (and by the way,
you just don't have the right tools on your system if you cannot
get the features you describe to work).

--
Randy

09:53:00 up 30 days, 21:30, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.23