HAL/D-BUS - 1 more time

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 25 07:28:15 PDT 2006

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 04/25/06 08:58 CST:

> No.  I added it manually when I set up my LFS system.

I've been having HAL do it for quite a while now. One of the main
reasons I was using HAL, was for this automation of the fstab file.
As root owns this, one would have to get the sysadmin to create an
fstab file entry just to plug in a drive.

Sure it can be done when the system is built, but then how do you
know where a specific device is mounted? CD/DVD/floppies aren't
really an issue as their device file is always the same, but USB
devices are not.

What if you had 4 300GB external USB drives plugged in at once,
how would you know one from the other. Old HAL setup allowed you
to define by a drive serial number if desired. For example, HAL
created these fstab entries on one of my systems (I have 3 USB
drives plugged in right now):

/dev/hdd   /media/cdrecorder1  auto  users,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0
/dev/hdc   /media/cdrom1       auto  users,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0
/dev/fd0   /media/floppy1      auto  users,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0
/dev/sda1  /media/TRAVELDRIVE  vfat  users,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0
/dev/sdb1  /media/MINI-CRUZER  vfat  users,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0
/dev/sdc1  /media/WDC_Combo     fat  users,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0

I can always tell which is which, and what is mounted by simply
looking at a df output or looking in /media. Creating the fstab
entries manually creates a situation where you would not know
what drive is mounted where.

This isn't an argument, it is meant for discussion so we can
setup the new HAL/D-BUS as proper as possible.

I'm not convinced that we should update HAL/D-BUS before releasing
the next version of BLFS. Even if that means we stick at GNOME-2.12.2.
Which wouldn't be a terrible thing, 2.12.2 is still ahead of some
distros and I'm not sure that anything but Fedora is shipping 2.14.x.

Thanks for keeping the discussion going. Perhaps we can get some
other comments as well.

--
Randy

09:02:01 up 30 days, 20:39, 1 user, load average: 1.58, 0.59, 0.32