HAL/D-BUS - 1 more time

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 06:30:43 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 04/25/06 08:03 CST:
>
>> I don't know about HAL and Gnome, but for KDE, take a look at Control
>> Center -> KDE Components -> Service Manager.
>
> Thanks. Though I suppose I need to dig a bit deeper (or perhaps you
> know), and figure out exactly what is going on behind the scenes. It
> is my understanding that the new HAL/D-Bus setup will not automatically
> update /etc/fstab as devices are hotplugged/inserted.
>
> If indeed this is the case, how will KDE know where to mount these
> devices when it recognizes that one has been inserted?

I don't *know*.  Checking with a data disk, KDE Daemon comes up.
Selecting Configure -> Advanced has these options:

* Enable HAL backend
* Enable CD polling
* Enable medium application autostart after mount

While the window is up, the disk is not mounted.  If I "Open in New
Window", according to mtab the disk is mounted:

/dev/hda /media/cdrom iso9660 ro,nosuid,nodev,user=bdubbs 0 0

I do have an entry in fstab:

/dev/hda  /media/cdrom  auto   user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro  0  0

If I select "Do nothing", the disk is not mounted.