Fortran compiler

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 24 17:05:44 PDT 2006

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 04/24/06 18:28 CST:

> I agree that the wiki is the right place.  We can't overcome the lack of
> maintenance of packages in the book.   Leaving one old copy of gcc in
> the book is OK because it shows users how to have multiple copies of
> gcc.

I agree with this completely.

>  We might want to mention in the gcc pages how to enable FORTRAN
> and other gcc languages in the 3.3.6 page.  I do think Ada is beyond the
> scope of BLFS.

I disagree here. I believe that some folks may have a need to compile
something with GCC C or C++ of vintage version. Or perhaps they need the
.5 library. But providing instructions to install other compilers of
such a vintage version is not setting the right tone for our book.

If someone needs a vintage (we're talking now several releases behind,
3.4.x, 4.0.x, 4.1.x) version of some odd compiler, surely they will
know how to install it.

Or should we go back and add Python-2.1 and Perl-4.x to the book. :-)

--
Randy

18:59:00 up 30 days, 6:36, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.08