ispell vs. aspell

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Apr 20 01:24:10 PDT 2006

Archaic wrote:
> Aspell provides a wrapper for ispell-like invocation. Is there any known
> failure in this wrapper? If not, is there a reason to keep ispell in the
> book?

There is a reason to drop ispell from the book: it doesn't support encodings
other than the one used for preparation of the dictionary. I.e., the Russian
dictionary is useless in ru_RU.UTF-8 locale because it is encoded in KOI8-R, not
UTF-8, and would thus mark all words as misspellings.

OTOH, aspell has the switch for specifying the input encoding, and it
automatically converts between that encoding, the dictionary encoding and the
locale encoding as needed.

Also, ispell is miscompiled in the book anyway (please change "#define NO8BIT"
to "#undef NO8BIT" in local.h so that ispell becomes 8-bit clean)

--
Alexander E. Patrakov