SPAM Problem

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 11:55:41 PDT 2006

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> We have a problem with SPAM on the BLFS lists.  I am proposing that we
> 'close' the lists to non-subscribed members.  The main issue is that
> list members who post from multiple email accounts will have to
> subscribe for each account.
>
> Non-member email would go to /dev/null
>
> Before I do this, I am soliciting comments to see if there is anything
> I'm overlooking or any reason not to restrict the BLFS lists.
>
> Comments?

Please don't do this. It creates a hostile, insular impression if a
mailing list is closed to people who aren't subscribed.
There has to be a better way. I hardly notice the spam on the lists
because Thunderbird is very effective at filtering it out. It does make
mistakes occasionally but I can't remember the last time it did. Isn't
there some sort of bayesian filter that can be used to filter the lists?

Andy