slrn S-Lang2 fixes - patch or development snapshot?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 07:52:28 PDT 2006

I tested now with tin.

On 4/5/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson пишет:
>
> Does this include the following?
>
> 1) the ability to view Russian translation of "wrote" at the top of this message

Yes.

> 2) the ability to delete this word

Still don't know what you mean by this.

> 3) the ability to accept non-ASCII input (by copying-and-pasting), including the
> subgect line

Yes, but not perfectly.  Some of non-ASCII would become two
characters, and editing became a nightmare.  Mostly straight c-n-p
non-ASCII worked.

> 4) correct wrapping of mostly-non-ASCII lines

Handlily beats slrn here.  I didn't go view the message you mentioned
elsewhere in this thread, but some of the other spam messages came out
correctly.

> 5) no premature truncation of messages generated by the application itself

Didn't notice any.

> 6) no breakage in the old 8-bit locales, i.e. items 1-5 should work in
> ru_RU.KOI8-R too

I'm sorry, but I didn't test this.  I was getting weary of these
console news readers.  Between trying to figure how to navigate and
how to set up the previous tests, I was getting frustrated.  I will
take your word for it that this locale is supported.

Overall, I found that tin outperformed slrn handily in these tests.
Slrn was just broken for some cases.  Sorry for not testing earlier.
I figured if I got slrn to compile against S-Lang2, everything would
work.

I'll be starting a new thread, but I'm now convinced that tin should
be in the book.  I don't know whether slrn should stay.

--
Dan