Nano locale issues

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Apr 12 20:47:52 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 4/12/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Not really a suggestion, but I think that the whole idea of the "locale related
>> issues" page failed. The Wiki contains a lot of candidate information for this
>> page, and the process of its addition is too slow.
>>
>> So for now, just add a link to http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/Nano
>> which now contains your text almost verbatim.
>
> You're probably right about that.  What does everyone think about
> this?  My thoughts are that pointing to the Wiki is good for stopgap
> solutions like suggesting upgrading a version.  However, if the book
> was to be released, we'd want to put that information on the Locale
> Related Issues so that information was contained within the book.
>
> Thoughts anyone?

Which of the following types of notes are considered stopgap solutions? What's
the proper place for each one in the released book (one of: the main package
page, Locale-Related Issues page, Wiki)?

1) "This package simply doesn't work in multibyte locales, don't use it or
downgrade to 8-bit locale. There is nothing functionally equivalent in BLFS or
beyond, so no other solution exists"

2) "This subcomponent of a package doesn't work correctly in multibyte locales
(e.g.: printing from Vim), but the rest of the package works very well"

3) "This package needs horrible workarounds, like post-processing the output
with a perl script, in order to produce the correct result"

4) "This package simply doesn't work in multibyte locales, but there is a nearly
equivalent replacement in the book"

5) "This package simply doesn't work in multibyte locales, but there is a nearly
equivalent replacement beyond BLFS"

6) "This package needs upgrading to a development version"

7) "This package needs a big patch that makes it work in both 8-bit and
multibyte locales"

8) "This package has a patch available, but it breaks functionality in 8-bit
locales"

9) "This package needs one extra line added to its default configuration file"

10) [example: ROX Filer, if it were in the book] "This package authors
deliberately break functionality in non-UTF-8 locales. Don't use this package in
such locales"

--
Alexander E. Patrakov