Enscript Security Patch

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 12 06:58:50 PDT 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 04/11/06 09:23 CST:

> Anyway, I went ahead and updated the ticket with the patch you sent in
> this thread.

I initially had trouble getting this patch to work, and couldn't
figure out why. I worked a bit comparing the patch downloaded from
Trac, and the one sent to me in personal email from Alexander.

Apparently, uploading patches to Trac causes a change in the line
ending characters (cr, lf chars). After downloading the patch from
Trac, and then applying it, there are messages about it having to
strip cr/lf chars from the patch. This doesn't happen applying the
one Alexander sent me.

Anyway, because I downloaded the patch from trac as one user on my
system, but needed to apply the patch and build the package as my
dedicated build user, I cut and pasted the patch after downloading
it from Trac into a new file for my build user. The non-standard
line endings caused the pasted version of the patch to be completely
wrong, rendering it useless.

After seeing what had happened, applying the correct version of the
patch resolved the issue.

FYI to Alex, I rediffed the patch as it applied with offsets and
actually had two fixes to one file in the patch. The rediffed patch
now applies clean and condensed the fixes to the one file into one
instance of the file with multiple parts.

--
Randy

08:51:01 up 17 days, 20:28, 1 user, load average: 0.63, 0.23, 0.08