Xorg 7 - various comments

Ag Hatzim zkom.xl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 14:31:05 PDT 2006

DJ Lucas(dj at linuxfromscratch.org)@Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:06:08AM -0500:
> Ag Hatzim wrote:
>
> >That was it Chris.
> >And as i was looking to configure (line 24735),i found the cause of this.
> >There is an undocumanted switch --enable-install-setuid.
> >And since the BLFS policy is to built as non-root user,then maybe we
> >have to enable by default.
>
> Okay..then I'm sorry I misunderstood what was happening.  When I
> rebuild, I'll build xorg-server as a normal user and verify and the
> switch will be added.  Thanks.

Hi DJ.

I finished a clean xorg build and the --enable-install-setuid
switch is working,the xorg server is being installed suid root.

Now,and if we go with the new layout (10 pages),i would suggest some
things.

First I think the xorg prefix should be set to /usr by default as
it confirms with the LSB standards plus is being used by all the
distributions.No problems I found so far.

The following is how I am thinking a simple module page.

Sample of the data page,

Assuming the next 2 variables are already set,at the first page of
the xorg section.

export XORG_CONFIG="--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
--localstatedir=/var"
export URL="http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual"
Xorg Data

The Xorg data packages provide static data such as images and keymaps to
the Xorg applications.

Installation of Xorg Data

DATA="xcursor-themes-1.0.1.tar.bz2 \
xkbdata-1.0.1.tar.bz2"

for i in $DATA
do
test -f $i || wget -c $URL/data/$i &&
tar xfv $i >/tmp/unpacked
packagedir=`head -n 1 /tmp/unpacked | sed -e 's@^\./@@g' -e 's@/.*$@@g'`
cd $packagedir
./configure $XORG_CONFIG &&
make &&
make install
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
break #stop the build if the previous command failed
fi
cd .. &&
rm -rf $packagedir
done 2>&1 | tee -a ../xorg-compile.log
done

That also eliminates the usage of the wget scripts.

The reasons I changed the packagedir variable is because I believe,it
teaches a bad example (the name of the extracted sources is not
always equal with the name of the tarball - *not* that it happens with the
current xorg packages,but as I said it teaches a bad example)
and the second reason and just for the record it also gives compatibility
with the upcoming jbhalfs.

Another thing I would like to notice is the usage of following command
mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I don't think the creation of the /etc/X11 is really necessary.
The xorg.conf could be placed it in the /usr/lib/X11,the xorg server will
find it as well.
The only program that looks in /etc/X11 for the xorg.cong is the
nvidia binary driver and particularly the nvidia-xconfig,which can be
easily bypassed with the usage of the "-c" switch.

Thoughts?

P.S. to DJ.
Why I thought you was the LFS-udev rules maintainer,I really
don't know. :)