PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 08:37:29 PDT 2006

Joe Ciccone wrote:
> I havn't been following this thread too closely

No kidding...

> but, from what I can
> tell about the way dbus/hal are integrated into the system. Without them
> I don't know how much hardware interaction the software will have. When
> you plug in your usb drive it won't be detected.

That's not true

> Same with cameras and
> scanners and other devices. I don't know if you have gnome running
> there, but I've had 2.14 running since it came out and it seems to rely
> heavily on dbus/hal to communicate with hardware.

`Seems'? D-Bus, HAL and Gnome-volume-manager are not installed on this
system. If I put in a floppy disk, open Nautilus, click on the
`Computer' icon on the toolbar and then click on the floppy icon, it
automounts the floppy disk. There is an icon for every item in
/etc/fstab with the options `user,noauto', ie, things that are not
mounted by default but which I can mount if I want to. It just works.

Andy