PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Sat Apr 8 08:29:43 PDT 2006

On Sam, 2006-04-08 at 16:22 +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:
> Jürg Billeter wrote:
> > On Fre, 2006-04-07 at 17:22 -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> >> I understand everything you're saying. However, Andy says this all
> >> works without D-Bus/HAL installed.
> >
> > I thought he just didn't compile gnome-vfs with HAL support, that's
> > indeed not necessary for automounting. As previously written,
> > gnome-volume-manager is the gnome automounter, not gnome-vfs, and
> > gnome-volume-manager has an unconditional dependency on HAL.
>
> gnome-volume-manager is not needed for Nautilus to be able to automount
> removable media like floppy disks, CD's or flash memory. I don't install
> gnome-volume-manager. It works fine without it. Install FAM or Gamin
> before you install gnome-vfs, then it `just works'.

Ah, you're talking about mounting on demand, I don't call that
automounting as it can be misleading. So as recap, what I call
automounting is: plug in your usb stick, do nothing, stick gets mounted
(optionally window appears with content). You call automounting: plug in
your usb stick, click in file manager on device, file manager mounts
stick. Is this interpretation right?

Automounting normally needs HAL and an automounter like
gnome-volume-manager or ivman. Mounting on demand doesn't need anything
special, that's just a functionality some file managers like nautilus
provide.

Jürg