PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 07:50:05 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Andy, what happens if you don't have fstab entries and no HAL?

Well obviously, if there's no suitable entry in /etc/fstab then I'd have
to become root to be able to mount something.
I don't like the idea of using a daemon running in the background all
the time. Working out what to put in /etc/fstab and writing udev rules
so it all works properly are part of administering a system.
For example, it would create a problem to plug 2 usb memory devices in
at once because they couldn't both be /dev/sda1. In that situation I'd
need to write udev rules to put the different devices on different nodes
in /dev and then use entries in /etc/fstab to mount them in different
places. In practice, it doesn't happen. The kids just plug in on device
at a time.
The hard part was teaching them to right click and unmount the device
before unplugging it. ROX works slightly better than Nautilus in that
regard. In ROX, when you navigate away from a folder you've mounted it
asks you if it should unmount it or take no action. In Nautilus you have
to remember to right click and unmount it.

Andy