apache instruction change

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 8 07:49:13 PDT 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 08:48:43AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I'm going to disagree with you guys. I don't like chowning the source
> tree to be owned by root. That is no way to go about fixing a broken
> installation.

You're right. Chowning the sources *prevents* a broken installation so
you don't have to *fix* the installation later.

>  It is a bad example, and it makes it difficult to delete the source
>  tree by the unprivileged user.

Well I don't know about the "bad example" reference. The only bad
example I'm seeing is being done by upstream in their Makefiles. Anyway,
after make install, the book is done with the source tree and continues
on, as root, in configuring and chowning /srv/www, so I don't see how
this would be a problem for deleting the sources. You already are root,
and if you are concerned with scripting, then you are either typing your
passwd a bunch of times already, or using sudo. Again, no problems for
removing the source tree. Anyone fit to build BLFS can handle the
*slight* oddity of requiring root to remove the source tree.

Perhaps others can speak up on this thread, though, cause all we have
now is 2 differing opinions that result in the same final product.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs