Xorg 7 - various comments

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 06:45:46 PDT 2006

On 4/8/06, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:

> Here is the problem, in hw/xfree86/Makefile...
>
> install-exec-local: install-binPROGRAMS
>          (cd $(DESTDIR)$(bindir) && rm -f X && ln -s Xorg X)
> #       chown root $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/Xorg
> #       chmod u+s $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/Xorg
>
> When I run configure as a regular user, the chmod is commented out. When
> I run it as root, it is not. It's like this on both 1.0.1 and 1.0.2.

That's very interesting, Ag, and it makes me glad I build as root!  I
didn't look back through the whole discussion, but this seems
important for the book since we suggest building as non-root.  I'm
gonna be playing with xorg-server in a little while, so I'll let you
know if I see the same behavior.

--
Dan