PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Sat Apr 8 00:26:35 PDT 2006

On Fre, 2006-04-07 at 17:56 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >
> > This whole discussion (this evenings) is centered around how Andy
> > is bypassing HAL and *what* process is communicating to *what*
> > userspace application to do the auto-mounting.
>
> I don't want to spread FUD, but this is what I *think* gnome-vfs does
> in the absence of HAL. I think this because it was making my CDROMs
> available through nautilus before I was using HAL.  I think that it
> reads in /etc/fstab and monitors those devices and directories for
> drives and volumes.  I know there are parts of the code that read
> fstab, and there are definitely parts of the code that monitor volumes
> and drives.  And it isn't all dependent on HAL.  Only certain parts of
> the code are wrapped in #ifdef USE_HAL statements.  Just a guess,
> though.

gnome-vfs reads /etc/fstab (and mtab) and monitors it with inotify/FAM,
that's right. gnome-vfs was never responsible for automatically mounting
volumes, though, that's what gnome-volume-manager has been written for.
gnome-vfs just provides information so that e.g. nautilus can display
appropriate drive/disc icons on the desktop/in "computer".

Jürg