PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 7 19:01:02 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 18:45 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Not music CDs.  That is something different that's probably not
> performed by gnome-vfs.  Data CDs.  I.e., I put in the LFS Live CD, an
> icon pops up on the desktop, I double-click and I browse the files in
> nautilus.  The iso file system has been mounted.

Okay, if music CDs aren't being handled by gnome-vfs, then what is
handling them? Data CDs are elementary. As should all other formats.

KDE can recognize a music CD, blank CD, data CD, blank DVD, a
DVD fully recorded, and a partially recorded DVD. And perform the
appropriate actions depending on what it found. What is doing this?

It's not magic.

I always thought dbus--> talks to HAL --> tell userspace what the
heck is going on. Userspace then does whatever it need to.

Now it appears that automount has been doing this all along (I
always thought this was for mounted volumes only), and that music
CDs need to be an exception. Why did we need a new framework for
reading these things?

Granted, automount is only good for media, and not devices such
as cameras and printers. However, cameras and media don't differ
by much.

Please, tell me why KDE can do all this stuff seamlessly without
a thing being done by the installer, or the end user.

Install 2 packages and everything works. Jeez, how do they make
it seem so easy, yet we can't determine what is actually happening
in a discussion on a technical list?

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
20:49:37 up 18 days, 3:24, 4 users, load average: 0.18, 0.09, 0.09