PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 7 18:12:28 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 17:56 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I don't want to spread FUD, but this is what I *think* gnome-vfs does
> in the absence of HAL. I think this because it was making my CDROMs
> available through nautilus before I was using HAL.  I think that it
> reads in /etc/fstab and monitors those devices and directories for
> drives and volumes.  I know there are parts of the code that read
> fstab, and there are definitely parts of the code that monitor volumes
> and drives.  And it isn't all dependent on HAL.  Only certain parts of
> the code are wrapped in #ifdef USE_HAL statements.  Just a guess,
> though.

I appreciate your conjecture and speculation. It provides data for
folks to think about and you may be right on the button.

Please now explain how you think that music CDs are autoplayed in the
absence of dbus/hal. This is something that monitoring fstab, volumes,
directories and whatnot cannot really detect.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
20:05:53 up 18 days, 2:40, 4 users, load average: 0.94, 0.39, 0.19