PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 17:56:58 PDT 2006

On 4/7/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> This whole discussion (this evenings) is centered around how Andy
> is bypassing HAL and *what* process is communicating to *what*
> userspace application to do the auto-mounting.

I don't want to spread FUD, but this is what I *think* gnome-vfs does
in the absence of HAL. I think this because it was making my CDROMs
available through nautilus before I was using HAL.  I think that it
reads in /etc/fstab and monitors those devices and directories for
drives and volumes.  I know there are parts of the code that read
fstab, and there are definitely parts of the code that monitor volumes
and drives.  And it isn't all dependent on HAL.  Only certain parts of
the code are wrapped in #ifdef USE_HAL statements.  Just a guess,
though.

--
Dan