PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Apr 7 17:27:54 PDT 2006

Joe Ciccone wrote:

> I havn't been following this thread too closely but, from what I can
> tell about the way dbus/hal are integrated into the system. Without them
> I don't know how much hardware interaction the software will have. When
> you plug in your usb drive it won't be detected. Same with cameras and
> scanners and other devices. I don't know if you have gnome running
> there, but I've had 2.14 running since it came out and it seems to rely
> heavily on dbus/hal to communicate with hardware.

I don't believe this is right.  Hardware detection is always done by the
kernel.  It in turn loads driver modules.  At a minimum, /sys and some
aspects of /proc get updated.

dbus is *a* mechanism for interprocess communication.  There are several
others.  It allow several *applications* to communicate with each other.

See: http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-tutorial.html

To the best of my knowledge, HAL requires dbus for communication.  Its
purpose is to maintain a list of devices with well-defined properties
for each device.

The issue is that it is up to software like kde or gnome to use the
hal/dbus libraries to implement convenient functions.

The creation of devices in /dev is what udev/hotplug are for.

If this is redundant info that everyone in this discussion knows, then I
apologize in advance.