PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 7 16:35:56 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 19:29 -0400, Joe Ciccone wrote:

> I havn't been following this thread too closely but, from what I can
> tell about the way dbus/hal are integrated into the system. Without them
> I don't know how much hardware interaction the software will have. When
> you plug in your usb drive it won't be detected. Same with cameras and
> scanners and other devices. I don't know if you have gnome running
> there, but I've had 2.14 running since it came out and it seems to rely
> heavily on dbus/hal to communicate with hardware.

I think as you do, and as others have said. However, there's at least
one who has posted that D-Bus/HAL is not required to communicate with
the hardware. This is a major source of confusion for me right now.

To the point I'm not going to worry about it until something is done
in LFS kernelland. I just know my systems with Dbus-HAL rock with
respect to automounting and device discovery/autosetup.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
18:32:57 up 18 days, 1:07, 4 users, load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.09