PAM (from D-Bus/HAL discussion)

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Fri Apr 7 15:35:09 PDT 2006

On Fre, 2006-04-07 at 17:22 -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 00:14 +0200, Jürg Billeter wrote:
>
> > It's the other way round. udev notifies HAL of new devices, older HAL
> > versions call fstab-sync to create fstab entries on demand and
> > the /etc/fstab change gets noticed by FAM which notifies gnome-vfs.
>
> I understand everything you're saying. However, Andy says this all
> works without D-Bus/HAL installed.

I thought he just didn't compile gnome-vfs with HAL support, that's
indeed not necessary for automounting. As previously written,
gnome-volume-manager is the gnome automounter, not gnome-vfs, and
gnome-volume-manager has an unconditional dependency on HAL.

> I believe I've the concept down. I think it is inotify that is
> responding to the Udev event and notifying userspace applications.
> So indeed if this is how it's done, you wouldn't need DBUS/HAL to
> simply mount plug-in media.

inotify doesn't have anything to do with udev. This notification
wouldn't even be possible as inotify events originate from the kernel
and the kernel doesn't know anything about udev.

Jürg