problem starting gnome 2.12.2

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 7 08:59:56 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 08:41 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> The solution is that we need to stick with the packages the developers
> say are for Xorg-7.0 unless there is a security flaw or serious bug
> release made.  Bumping up the major version from fixesproto-3.0.2 to
> fixesproto-4.0 without rebuilding the affected parts was a bad idea.
> We need to let the Xorg developers decide how all these versions best
> work together.

Nice explanation, thanks. CC'ing over to -dev as I've got an idea that
may be worth considering, but it's a for-sure -dev thing.

As we go forward, I can see the removal of XFree86 (boy, I never
thought I'd say that), and perhaps, if we attempt to get a release
out as is being discussed, we may consider pulling the Xorg-7.0
stuff out as well.

I am proposing to create a new entity in general.ent for the
combination of X stuff. Currently each page that has a dependency for
X has on it X (xref=... xref=... xref=...). I can make an entity and
change all the dependencies for X to that entity. Then, if we ever
want to pull out XFree86, or remove any X version temporarily, it
is a simple change to the entity.

Every time there is a change required to the X dependency, it requires
touching all those pages. Many were missed last time around when 7.0
was added. I can do the work. I am going to run the script to add all
the Wiki links and at the same time I could update all the X depends
to an entity.

Does this sound acceptable?

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
10:49:12 up 17 days, 17:23, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.07