PPP configuration

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Apr 7 04:31:40 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 17:09 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> 2) Your comments exactly apply to the rp-pppoe and wvdial packages. They store
>> the password in /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets, because there is no other way to
>> tell the password to pppd <= 2.4.1. So my instructions are not worse in this
>> aspect :)
>
> Thank you for your kind and courteous response to my less than
> supporting stand on your idea. I wasn't sure how you would take it.
> Anyway, in reference to #2 above, there is a saying in America (not
> sure if it goes outside this country):
>
> Two wrongs don't make a right.
>
> (some would then say, "yes, but three lefts do!")

Point taken, what's the recommended action against wvdial and rp-pppoe?

>> There is indeed a way to ask the user for the password every time with ppp >=
>> 2.4.2, see below.
>> I will add this to the Wiki if you think this is OK.
>
> I think anything we can do to show users how to do dialup without
> embedded passwords is a *very* good thing.

So I will now factor the process of storing the password out to a separate
section, and add the script there as one of the alternatives.

But how would you solve the following problem?

My computer connects to Internet via ADSL line (since 2006-03-21), and the ISP
uses PPPoE. I am going to use this as an always-on connection, brought up on
boot. You say that it is a very bad idea to store the password in
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets, but the only other option would be to ask it every time
during boot. What should be done here?

<offtopic>
Windows XP doesn't have a builtin mechanism for creating such always-on PPPoE
connections, and requires each user to go through a password dialog, plus an
option for Administrator to store it for each user.
</offtopic>

I do store this password in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov