PPP configuration

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 7 02:56:55 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 15:08 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> I have prepared some configuration notes on
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/PPP and I think they should be put
> into the book in some form.

With all due respect and consideration for your normally fine ideas and
procedure, I must disagree with these instructions. I don't use dial-up,
would never use it again, and I've never looked a the PPP or WVDial
pages so I don't know how your instructions compare against these.

But I am from the school that says embedding unencrypted passwords
in files on disks, especially in a public directory such as /etc, is
a 'bad thing'. My opinion is that even embedded encrypted passwords
should be avoided.

I know I would never promote instructions that hard code an
unencrypted password in a public directory. I realize the file is
600 permissions. So what. That is meaningless. Everyone leaves their
computer for a couple of minutes now and then. It is those moments
that 600 might as well be 777.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
04:46:56 up 17 days, 11:21, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.10, 0.05