why don't add gdb package?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Thu Apr 6 23:13:26 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
>> BSCH wrote:
>>> why don't add gdb package?
>> The gdb install is a simple CMMI process.  Most programmers will be able
>> to handle this on their own without too much problem.
>
> I actually would really like to see strace and/or gdb in the book.
> Strace is a good debugging tool that non-programmers can use.  I've
> figured out a lot of problems with it.  gdb is less useful unless you
> have at least some knowledge of C.

I added gdb to the wiki:
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/OtherProgrammingTools

It turns out that it was a bit non-trivial after all.  gdb uses static
versions of libiberty, readline, and libbfd internally, but the install
process overwrites the same files from binutils.  After learning about
some undocumented switches and fixing Makefiles that didn't completely
honor those switches, it now can be installed properly.

BTW, I always thought gdb was a bit difficult to use.  I once tried ddd,
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/, and thought it was a bit better.  I
don't know if it uses an internal version of gdb or not.