BLFS-6.1.1

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 6 19:53:37 PDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:33:49PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> A release would really go a long way to tiding us over until we can
> prepare for what probably is soon-to-be LFS-6.2.

I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly, but have a few questions:

1) What base system is being targetted?
   a) If 6.1.1, then what about the gcc4-specific stuff?
   b) If 6.1.1, how much testing has gone on with that base version?

2) How many packages have not been updated in a while, perhaps even
   since 6.1?

3) How much time do you see for testing? OOo and Xorg seem to be
   slightly problematic still guaging blfs-support threads (haven't
   tried myself yet).

4) What will be the book's version?

As for 1b) I can say that until very recently I was using a gcc-3.4.x
system just fine with BLFS-SVN. Even added the gcc-4 patches in most
cases because they generally were just code improvements and not hacks.
However, I also must say that I build a very small subset of BLFS,
almost exclusively servers and their deps. I haven't built X or anything
printing or audio related since 6.1-preX days and I never build
Gnome/KDE.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch