why don't add gdb package?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 15:43:04 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

> OK.  I see that gdb-6.4 creates:
>
> /tmp/gdb-install/usr/lib:
> libbfd.a  libbfd.la  libiberty.a  libopcodes.a  libopcodes.la
>
> which overwrites the existing files.  I don't see anything else.
>
> Is there anything different about these files that is needed for gdb?

I'm not a programmer, but this is my guess.  In order for gdb to be
able to properly debug binaries, it needs to link libbfd.a and
libiberty.a into the gdb binary.  It builds its own since it can't
depend on the host and it may be tied to specific versions of libbfd
and libiberty.  The fact that they're installed seems to be a flaw
since running gdb shouldn't depend on static libraries being present
on the host.

--
Dan