Gnome's Evince and Poppler

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 11:28:56 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Best I can tell, Evince wants a minimum of version 0.5.1 of the Poppler
> library. The 0.5.x versions are development snapshots. The 0.4 x series
> is current stable.

I don't mind going to a development snapshot of Poppler.  Here's
something to think about WRT evince-0.5.  From the NEWS file:

==============
Evince   0.5.1
==============
Bug Fixes:
    * Correctly interoperate with DBUS 0.60

So, if we decide to use dbus-0.60 (not that we necessarily will), it
looks like we'd want to use evince-0.5.1+ and, hence, poppler-0.5.x.

> Any advice from anyone on which way to go here? KDEgraphics uses Poppler
> as well, but I'm not sure what version, and I don't know how much
> API/ABI changes there are between Poppler 0.5.x and 0.4.x.

Here's from the ChangeLog of Poppler, applying to the 0.5 series:

2006-02-16  Albert Astals Cid  <aacid at kde.org>

        * qt4/src/Makefile.am:
        * qt/Makefile.am:
        * poppler/Makefile.am:
        * glib/Makefile.am: Update soname as we are not really compatible
        anymore with previous releases that had soname 0.0.0

So, it looks like there would be issues across the poppler-0.4/0.5
divide.  I don't really use KDE, so I don't know the requirements
there, either.

Sorry for not offering solutions.  On my own box, you can bet I'll go
to the bleeding edge, but I don't know what's best for the book.

--
Dan