D-Bus/HAL (another round of misery...or is it fun?)

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Wed Apr 5 00:04:37 PDT 2006

On Die, 2006-04-04 at 19:09 -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like input from anyone that has experience with newer versions of
> D-Bus and HAL (Jürg, you listening? :-) ) and how things have gone
> with packages building/working against the new API/ABI.
>
> Currently in the book is D-Bus-0.50. In version 0.60, they claim
> *major* API/ABI changes, including .so name changes. (I hate when
> they do this). In the past, this has resulted in total breakage
> to packages not ported to the new API/ABI.

It's not that bad this time. Most applications need only minor changes
and all packages in my repository are already updated upstream for some
time now - major part was GNOME which is compatible with dbus 0.6x since
the release of version 2.14. Due to the .so name change, you need to
rebuild all dbus using applications, though.

> I'm looking for help from anyone that has worked with this new
> version of D-Bus, and the ever-just-lagging behind-a-little-bit HAL.

HAL 0.5.7 works just fine with dbus 0.6x. As already has been pointed
out on the list, HAL 0.5.7 replaced fstab-sync by mount methods callable
via dbus. Therefore e.g. gnome-volume-manager and gnome-vfs will need
gnome-mount to use this new functionality. The only problematic part
here is that by default only console users have permission to use these
mount methods and easy console-detection is only possible with
pam_console or similar which is not part of BLFS.

If you have any concrete questions, just ask.

Regards,

Jürg