Xorg 7 - various comments

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 4 18:39:32 PDT 2006

Ag Hatzim wrote:

> First two typos.
> 1. patch -Np1 -i luit_1.0.1-race-1.patch
>                      ~

Will correct shortly.

> Also,and i don't know if this happened to any of you,but i found many
> reports in the google plus is also mentioned in the xorg's developer
> guide,the xorg server doesn't installed as SUID root ( i was using
> sudo).

[dj at name1 bootscripts]# ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
-rws--x--x  1 root root 2085770 Mar  5 13:07 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
[dj at name1 bootscripts]# ls -l /media/lfs/usr/bin/Xorg
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 7262992 Mar 25 10:23 /media/lfs/usr/bin/Xorg

I do script the build as the root user.

?

>>4. I don't like the xorg-server instructions that assume a specific
>>place for the Mesa source. I would prefer doing what used to be done
>>with tcl in LFS - "export MESADIR=`pwd`" from the Mesa source dir, then
>>have the xorg-server instructions refer to --with-mesa-source=${MESADIR}.
>>

> Funny,I installed xorg modular yesterday,and i had the same thought with you Crish.
> I think it is much less confusing an absolute path,or a variable,like you said.

Will do something with this, not sure if using an environment variable
set from another page is a good thing to do, however, even
[/path/to/]Mesa-6.4.2 would be better than the possibly invalid relative
path.

> P.S.
> Oh,and the sed to the lnx_agp.c it was still required in the build of the
> xorg-server (at least for me).

Yes, this needs to go back in until LFS has glibc fixed.  I'll 'LFS-ize'
the upstream patch in a moment, if it hasn't been done already, and drop
a note to LFS-Dev.

-- DJ Lucas