popt and patch policy

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 4 18:50:46 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 19:42 -0600, Archaic wrote:
> Was looking at popt and wondered if following debian's versioning system
> was a good thing or not. Also wondered about using a patch straight from
> debian as opposed to making an lfs-style patch and calling it
> fixes-1.patch. Any opinions?

I am going to be very opinionated here. I cannot stand this Debian
patch. It causes us to regenerate the autotools and still there are
ugly messages when you build. *Very* ugly. For no real reason.

All to change one line of real code. And that line really does
nothing except add some stuff for some bizarre architectures. All
the rest is just Debian fluff. I have mentioned this in the past,
but to no avail. It was/has been/is determined that the way it is,
is the way it should be. Many have argued differently, without
success.

I hate this patch. I hate it every time I build it. I only do it
so that I can be "compatible" with the BLFS build system. Otherwise,
I would throw it in the toilet.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
20:44:31 up 15 days, 3:19, 3 users, load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.18