Subversion/BDB Update 2

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 4 04:44:27 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 20:33 -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> We are right back where we started. I'll update the book to the new
> Subversion version with warnings and caveats.

I'm putting the following caution note into the instructions, as well
as a short note after the execution of the test suite. Please review
the following and feel free to mark up, change, or pick nits with
the text:

For reasons that are not yet fully understood, Subversion repositories
based on some versions of Berkeley DB (notably 4.4.x) may not perform
reliably. Though there have been no reports of corrupted databases
caused by this issue, the Subversion test suite may report a failure
in one of the tests due to problems opening a repository based on
Berkeley DB. This issue only affects BDB-based repositories on a local
installation and does not affect access to a BDB-based repository on a
remote system.

To eliminate any problems that may be associated with this issue, you
are encouraged (as well as recommended by the Subversion development
team) to use File System based repositories. Additionally, if you have
existing repositories based on Berkeley DB, you are encouraged to dump
and reload them into a File System based repository.

Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
06:37:10 up 14 days, 13:11, 5 users, load average: 0.26, 0.27, 0.22