Wireless update (long)

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 19:04:09 PDT 2006

I'm happy because i'm sitting on my couch downstairs writing this email.
I attached the wireless script which is to be placed in
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/services and chmoded +x. I have not
implemented WPA yet because I havn't had a chance to invade my friend
and play with his network yet.

You need to create /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ssid. The files inside
this dir contain the info specific to each network. The file names can
either be the name of the ssid or the address of the ap in all capitals.
for example, I have "Ciccone" but it could also be "AE:85:35:DE:A4".
That is a very useful feature when the ssid is hidden and you would like
to scan for your ssid. Unfortunatly I am unable to test scanning here
because I am using a mad-wifi card that doesn't support scanning. I'm
going to give ndiswrapper a shot later.

Your ssid configuration must include ESSID="[your ssid here]" if you
used the mac address of your AP for the filename. As of this time I only
have one type configured, entering your wep keys with,
KEY1=""
KEY2=""
KEY2=""
KEY2=""
To sum it all up, Options for the ssid configuration include, ESSID,
KEY1, KEY2, KEY3, KEY4, MODE, FREQ, RATE. Note, None of these keys
really even need to be set if you're using a totaly unsecure wireless
network. All you would have to do is 'touch
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ssid/[your ssid]'

Now on to setting up the interface config. add numbers before the items
in ifconfig.[interface] so that the events happen in the correct order.
i have 01-wireless and 02-ipv4. in 01-wireless I have,
ONBOOT=yes
ONHOTPLUG=yes
SERVICE=wireless
ESSID=Ciccone
TYPE=wep

You can also set ESSID=scan to search through your ssid definitions in
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ssid. To find out if your card supports
scanning, try and run iwlist [your interface] scan.

The locations of the above parameters are arbitrary, you could set KEY1
in ifconfig.[interface]/01-wireless and it would would if you had the
same KEY1 over every single network you ever needed to connect to.

I've tested this script by being started by the network bootscript and
from udev, both work.

Enjoy :-)

I have tested this script with the lfs network bootscript and with udev
running ifup when the card is inserted.