Xorg7.0 (Xorg.conf confusion)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 10:50:26 PDT 2006

On 4/1/06, Dan Winkler <cryptoniks at hotmail.com> wrote:

> /etc/X11 doesn't exsist!! all the apps are being seen (eg x then a tab lists
> a large number of X related commands
>
> im thinking this is a typo and as such where do we actually but our working
> conf file?
>
> or do we just mkdir /etc/X11 and place the file there?

Yes.  Unfortunately, one side-effect of all the autotools switching is
that most of the packages put their configuration files in
${libdir}/X11.  So, most of the things that were in /etc/X11 for the
monolithic tree are in /usr/lib/X11 now.  For example, directories
like app-defaults and xinit are probably in /usr/lib/X11.  I find this
annoying and thought about rebuilding all the packages forcing them to
install these files in /etc/X11, but it seemed like too much trouble.

In particular for xorg.conf, the X server will look first in /etc/X11
and then /etc and then a whole slew of other places (man Xorg).  I
decided since there was nothing else in /etc/X11 that I would just put
xorg.conf in /etc.  So, I use /etc/xorg.conf on my system.

Maybe the wording could be changed for creating xorg.conf, but there's
nothing on that page that indicates that /etc/X11 should be populated.

--
Dan