BLFS Wireless Networking

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 2 10:04:13 PDT 2006

I have refrained from joining the discussion about wireless, as I don't
think I have anything of value to add to the discussion. I am against
the idea of doing hardware-specific configuration. I am all for putting
the wireless-tools package in the book, and other packages that can be
useful to builders.

But I don't like the idea of providing configuration instructions.

We don't do it for printers, or scanners, or cameras, or joysticks,
or sound cards, or any other hardware I can think of (though there was
talk one time of adding some graphic card specific stuff to the X
config page, but I don't believe it ever happened). Why are we doing
it for network cards?

I suppose it is just the thought of the support issue we are going to
encounter. There are no less than 3 different hints in the repo now
about wireless networking. God only knows how many there would have
to be to support the plethora of wireless network cards out there.

--
Randy

11:57:01 up 7 days, 23:34, 6 users, load average: 0.23, 0.13, 0.13