Automating BLFS

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Nov 28 07:33:09 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Well, if you're concerned about disrupting automation, the prompt for
> the choice could come right away, as soon as you enter make. It could
> traverse the dependencies and make sure all necessary choices are made.

Yes, this would be a nice option.  When given a choice, take both.  :)

How about a switch/configuration option that would specify:

CHOICE=default  or CHOICE=prompt  This could also be overridden by
additional variables:

MTA=postfix|sendmail|exim
X=xorg|xfree86
KERBEROS=heimdal|krb5

other options could be

QT=/opt|/usr
KDE=/opt|/usr

I'd also consider a variable

OPTIONAL=packageA,packageB,...

That would add in optional dependencies as desired by the user.

These are the main alternative packages/options that I can remember off
the top of my head.  I'd have to go through the book to get a
comprehensive list, but we are just talking concepts right now.