FreeType2 Patent Violation?

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 26 16:38:32 PST 2005

Hi all,

I went to fix the bug about the poorly written description of our
enabling of the Bytecode Interpreter in the FreeType2 instructions.
So, to get some background, I visited
http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

Now I'm sure this issue has come up a long time ago (as I don't
remember any discussion since I've been involved with (B)LFS) and
it was determined that our enabling of the Bytecode Interpreter
does *NOT* violate Apple's patents.

But I'm not so sure about that. I feel our enabling of the
Bytecode Interpreter in the FreeType2 source *is* a violation of
Apple's patent.

Perhaps we can all visit this issue again and clarify it for me
how we are *not* in violation.

I understand we are not *distributing* code that includes the
enabling of the Interpreter, but having the instruction in the
book as the recommended default installation seems in violation.

Perhaps I'm just overly concerned. I would appreciate it if some
of you that remember previous conversation about this could relay
what you remember. I searched the archives, but didn't really find
anything useful.

--
Randy

18:26:00 up 63 days, 3:50, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.28, 0.47