Net-Tools Issue

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 25 12:26:40 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 11/25/05 14:19 CST:

> If it goes on top of the existing 'no_uptime...' patch wouldn't that
> leave a default LFS install without any installed hostname binary? Or am
> I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Looking at things, I decided to just create the patch I need.
I'm almost finished.

However, to clarify things for you, I'll explain better.

Currently LFS uses a patch which suppresses installation of the
uptime, kill and su programs in the Coreutils package. The
hostname program is built and installed.

However, in BLFS Net-Tools, it builds and installs a 'hostname'
program which is actually better than the coreutils version. So,
what the BLFS book says, is that if for whatever reason you need
to reinstall Coreutils *and you wish to preserve* the Net-Tools
version of 'hostname', then you need to patch Coreutils with a
'suppress_hostname' patch (along with all the other patches).

Make sense now?

Of course, you could always reinstall Coreutils using the LFS book
and then reinstall Net-Tools again to achieve the same thing.

--
Randy

14:20:00 up 61 days, 23:44, 3 users, load average: 1.02, 1.04, 0.82