[Fwd: firefox "mailto:" protocol configuration]

Christian Bendele Christian.Bendele at gmx.net
Fri Nov 11 11:01:07 PST 2005

Christian Bendele wrote:

> In firefox's address bar enter "about:config" to get a list of all
> configuration variables. you can enter "mail" in the filter at the
> top, because otherwise they are too many for comfort.
>
> then you have to make two changes:
>
> change "network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto" to "TRUE"
>
> and then create a new string variable (right mouse-click and click
> "new -> string") called
> "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto". Set this variable's value to
> the command line you use
> to start your mail client. A simple "thunderbird" does the job for
> that client, options like mail address, subject etc,
> if contained in the link you clicked, will automatically be used for
> the new mail.

Okay, I have to correct myself. While this does indeed work fine on my
elderly lfs5.1 system and firefox-1.0.0 there seems to be some problem
with firefox-1.0.7 on my brandnew system. In thunderbird the "mailto:"
part of the link gets included into the address part of the mail header.
This will cause the mail to bounce. I'm not sure if that is a bug either
in newer versions (later than 1.0.0) of firefox or thunderbird, or if
something was changed on purpose...
I'll try to find a solution, but maybe somebody else already knows one... :)

Christian