libvorbis gcc4 hickup

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Nov 8 18:20:14 PST 2005

Hello all!

  I just hit a nasty annoyance concering libvorbis and gcc4. Detailed
description of what is going on, can be found here:
http://trac.xiph.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/583
The hickup here that oggenc linked to the faulty libvorbis will
produce larger files with poor audio quality.

  Apparently there exists a fix in the svn repository of libvorbis, but
it is not yet in 1.1.1 (at least, I still have the problem). I currently
fixed it by using the following sed right after the configure step:

    sed -i s at -O20@"-O3 -fno-strict-aliasing"@g `find . -name Makefile`

this will replace the nonsense -O20 with -O3 (which -O20 would anyway
default to) and also disables strict aliasing, which - from what I got
from the discussion - is the culprit.

  The correct way to deal with that will be to extract the fix from svn,
but I am not qualified to do that. Also, a probably cleaner temporary
solution than the sed would be to use gcc-3 for the compilation of
libvorbis.

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
It must be awful to be a girl. I'm sure it's frustrating knowing that
men are bigger, stronger and better at abstract thought than women.