Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird change

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:53:04 PST 2005

On 11/2/05, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/02/05 21:21 CST:
> > This message is directed toward Randy since those packages have been
> > updated by him most recently, but posted here for history's sake.
> >
> > Any objection to an added note about '--enable-ldap' being needed for
> > OpenOffice in the Firefox, Thunderbird, and Mozilla instructions?
>
> I would really need more background to answer this question. Is is
> mandatory for OOo? What is the need for?
>
> Thunderbird and Moz don't really create an issue, however, the note
> would also need to include a blurb that OpenLDAP is required. But
> OpenLDAP is an optional dependency, so how can it be required?
> Somewhat a contradiction. But nothing that couldn't be overcome.
>
> Perhaps a note such as (and I'm guessing because I don't have enough
> background on your question to answer it properly):
>
> "If you plan on building OpenOffice, you'll need to ensure that
> OpenLDAP is installed and add --enable-ldap to the configure script"
>
> Firefox does however create an issue. The default
> browser/config/mozconfig file in the firefox tree explicitly disables
> ldap using --disable-ldap.
>
> Changing this would be contrary to the Moz developers and something
> I'm not sure we want to do. Besides, what does LDAP support in Firefox
> do? To the best of my knowledge it is only used by the address book
> functionality, which Firefox doesn't provide.

So, I was curious about this contrary to the Moz developers stuff, so
I posted a note on netscape.public.mozilla.builds on news.mozilla.org
about it.  Turns out that --enable-ldap is only not used on Firefox
because it's not needed, so there's no danger in building it.  Take a
look at the thread here (hopefully wrapping doesn't ruin it)
http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.builds/browse_frm/thread/014ff31ba839cd79/ac5f3c749693b1d8#ac5f3c749693b1d8

If that doesn't work, just go to
http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.builds and look
for the thread called "Firefox --enable-ldap".  Christopher Seawood is
a dev on the project I believe.

In summary, I believe adding a note that --enable-ldap should be used
in Firefox if you're planning on building OOo-2 is safe.

--
Dan