Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird change

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:13:25 PST 2005

On 11/2/05, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/02/05 23:01 CST:
>
> > Has nothing to do with OpenLDAP, only the moz ldap lib provided by the sdk.
>
> But this is pulled in automatically unless --disable-ldap is
> explicitly given. --enable-ldap does nothing different as best
> as I can tell.
>
> My question still stands: What exactly does --enable-ldap do that
> is not done by default if --disable-ldap is not passed?

There is absolutely no difference except for Firefox where, as you
said, it is disabled by default.  --enable-ldap sets the variable
MOZ_LDAP_XPCOM to 1.  This is the default for everything unless
--disable-ldap is specifically passed (i.e. it's unconditionally set
to 1 before the --enable/--disable test is done).  The only other LDAP
related switch is --enable-ldap-experimental, which is off by default
for everything.

Haven't (ever) done the full suite build, but from my knowledge of the
moz build system, it will create exactly the same ldap libraries as
thunderbird.  And neither depend on OpenLDAP AFAICT.

I'm taking a stab, but I think it would be OK to add this to firefox.
It's not enabling extensions that cause it to break.  It's just
building an embedded library that only seems to be turned off by
default because it's useless to firefox.  I'd like to see a couple
people build this way and see if it adversely affects firefox.  I
would bet that it's fine, though.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

--
Dan