Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird change

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 2 22:47:43 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/02/05 23:18 CST:
>

>>Oh I mis-understood....nothing in that case AFAIK, but the firefox
>>instructions in the book contain '--disable-ldap'.
>

> Yes. As is recommended by the Moz developers. You'll probably need
> to come up with a real compelling reason why we would need to change
> this.

How about reversing the scenario?  Is there really a need to disable it
short of nothing in firefox being able to use it?  As best I can tell,
nothing in the browser component even looks at it.  And as shown
earlier, nothing in the installation directory links to the
libmozldap.so, or (except for libmozldap.so) to libldap50.so and
libprldap50.so.

The only _compelling_ reason I can give is that it looks to be a PITA to
disable this functionality in OOo, while it appears not to pose a
problem to enable it here.  It only shows ldap in a few subprojects
right now so it may not be a huge ammount of work to disable it
completely in OOo, but I'm unsure.  Unfortunately there is not already a
patch available to do this, and it doesn't look much like my idea of fun
to create one.  Secondly, I would _not_ suggest this to be the
default...only a note suggesting to add the switch if you'll be building
OOo against it later on.

If you or Bruce still feel strongly against it, I'll defer the addition
of a note until I can think of a way to, and then verify without a
doubt, that firefox will not use it.  This will leave building against
firefox out of the question for at least a little while.  Actually,
it'll just stay in my home dir on Belg for a few more days anyway as I
have a bit more testing to do.

-- DJ Lucas