Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird change

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 2 21:15:10 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 11/02/05 22:35 CST:
>

>>I'm not sure that OpenLDAP ever enters the picture. I am fixing to
>>scour over the configure script to see what is up.
>

> Looking at the source tree, and logs from my Thunderbird build,
> there is no dependency on OpenLDAP whatsoever. Moz code includes
> internal references to its own ldap code, and uses it unless
> --disable-ldap is given. Though the configure script shows that
> there is a subtle difference if --enable-ldap is passed, I cannot
> figure out what it does.
>

>>This comes back to my original question to DJ, what does --enable-ldap
>>to the the Moz builds?
>

> Until DJ answers the above question, it is impossible to answer his
> original question.

Well dang!  Guess I should do a Send/Receive before blasting off a waste
of breath email with lots of speculation.  So OpenLDAP does not come
into play at all here?  That's a relief.  AFAICT, it only enables
building of the ldap library included in the SDK.

[dj at name1 build]# for file in `find /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/ -type f`
 > do ldd $file | grep "ldap" && echo $file
 > done 2> /dev/null
         libldap50.so => not found
         libprldap50.so => not found
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/components/libmozldap.so
[dj at name1 build]#

Looks like it builds libmozldap.so as the only thing that links to the
libldap50.so in firebird's case.  The full Moz and Thunderbird will
probably have more files linked to it so you can use an LDAP address
book in Moz/TB.

As far as the original question, I answered it in the other message, but
I'll try and save you from having to put on your waders to find it.  :-)
The LDAP lib is used in mozab, xmlsec, and in the connectivity components.

-- DJ Lucas