Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird change

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 2 21:01:28 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/02/05 21:21 CST:

>>Any objection to an added note about '--enable-ldap' being needed for
>>OpenOffice in the Firefox, Thunderbird, and Mozilla instructions?
>

> I would really need more background to answer this question. Is is
> mandatory for OOo? What is the need for?

I think there is a bit of confusion as to what I need.  It's for both
the mozab component, and the need for the additional functions provided
by the _Mozilla_ LDAP lib (from the moz sdk) for direct LDAP
connectivity outside the mozab component.  It's also needed in xmlsec,
though I'm unsure of it's purpose there ATM.

> Thunderbird and Moz don't really create an issue, however, the note
> would also need to include a blurb that OpenLDAP is required. But
> OpenLDAP is an optional dependency, so how can it be required?
> Somewhat a contradiction. But nothing that couldn't be overcome.

Has nothing to do with OpenLDAP, only the moz ldap lib provided by the sdk.

[dj at name1 build]# ls -l /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/libldap50.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 197746 Nov  1 22:28
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/libldap50.so
[dj at name1 mozilla]# ldd /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/libldap50.so
         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7dbe000)
         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
[dj at name1 mozilla]#

No OpenLDAP in sight for three or four half gen LFSs on this particular
box (IOW nothing left over from previous {B,}LFS installations as they
have been long since removed).

> Firefox does however create an issue. The default
> browser/config/mozconfig file in the firefox tree explicitly disables
> ldap using --disable-ldap.
>
> Changing this would be contrary to the Moz developers and something
> I'm not sure we want to do. Besides, what does LDAP support in Firefox
> do? To the best of my knowledge it is only used by the address book
> functionality, which Firefox doesn't provide.

No need to change it, only in the top level config (for the sdk provided
lib), however, I'm now unsure of what will happen to the full Mozilla if
it'll use the OpenLDAP headers instead of the ones provided in the SDK.
   I'll build the suite without OpenLDAP first and verify all works as
expected WRT OOo2.

Actually, does anyone by chance have the full Mozilla suite installed on
a PC with OpenLDAP installed (OpenLDAP installed prior to Mozilla)?  I'd
like to see the output of 'ldd /usr/lib/mozilla*/libldap*.so'.  If not,
I'll be able to check it out in a couple of days as these OOo2 builds
take quite a bit of time to complete.  Also should verify that
<moz_include_dir>/ldap and <moz_include_dir>/mozldap directories exist
in this configuration.

> Not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud, but adding a note to Firefox
> which contradicts the Firefox developers suggestions, seems
> counter-productive. Especially considering that many folks don't
> use the Firefox instructions from BLFS, but build it using the
> method suggested by the Moz devs (which as we all know by know
> produces the same result) but they would have to figure out how
> to accommodate for OpenOffice. This would mean editing the default
> browser/config/mozconfig file. Seems it would contribute to many
> support questions.
>
> I will however, leave the decision up to you.

I understand your concern.  It's explicitly disabled in the browser
component as there is most likely no need for it (can you think of one?
I can't), but the library does still have it's use.  I _believe_ if it's
explicitly disabled in the browser component, then the configure flags
will only affect the sdk.  Thanks for the thorough reply, it's
definitely exposed a possible kink.

-- DJ Lucas