gcc-4 and SBU's

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Nov 2 09:51:18 PST 2005

Archaic wrote:
> I just realized a possible problem. I was about to update the dhcpcd
> package and started wondering about SBU timing differences between
> gcc-3.4.4 and gcc-4.0.2 and if I would be using an invalid timing. Then
> I realized that compilation problems might hit with gcc-4 and not gcc-3.
> I do not have a current lfs-svn system, so I'm going to unassign myself
> from dhcpcd.

I just downloaded it and did a configure && make, but not an install.
The time was 6.8 seconds (mostly configure).  On my system that is about
0.05 SBU.  Anything we put in the book that is less than 0.1 SBU should
say "less than 0.1 SBU".

In other words, the differences in SBU between gcc3 and gcc4 are not
significant, at least in this case.

The issue of testing is significant.