GCC-3.3.x

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Apr 25 20:01:02 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> My understanding
> is that this is a Linux From Scratch project. Providing support for
> non-free binary packages doesn't fall into the project's goals.

In my mind, BLFS is about helping users.  The "From Scratch" means that
we work predominantly from source, but if we can help out in a
non-source/proprietary situation, I'm not going to take the RMS road and
tell them to look for a free solution.  I will help if I can.  That
said, I'm also not going to expend a lot of effort doing it either.

If the only reason for gcc-3.3 is needed is for proprietary software,
drivers, etc, I would not put it in the book.  I also would not take it
out if it can be used for the same reason since it is already there.  At
least not at this time.

I think we need to move on.  In the future, gcc-4 is going to give us a
lot more problems than this issue does.